Saturday, October 6, 2007

Green Angel by Alice Hoffman


In the book Green Angel, by Alice Hoffman, Green plays the quiet, shy shrinking violet of her family. Her sister Aurora is beautiful and untamed. At night Green could awake to find the moths circling around Aurora's head. Preferring her glow to that of the lamp outside. Green's mother is beautiful as well, and her talents in the garden are unmatched. Her long black hair is the only trait that her and Green share. Her mother's garden skills were what taught Green to talk to the plants until they would grow for her. She could sit by the garden for extended periods of time, just to watch the seedlings grow. Greens father is strong and compassionate. He could whistle like any bird, and it would reply. This story is one of self-discovery. Of how Green finds the strength to confront her fears and take control of her life. After a tragedy that strikes Green's life with such ferocity leaves her in emotional shambles, she must find a way to recover from the loss, and live again.


Slowly Green loses all sense of preservation. She begins to tattoo herself with the ink of a pen and a safety pin. Green meets a set of characters that as though by miracle help her change her life and the way she treats herself.


Green Angel by Alice Hoffman is a must read. I loved this book and hope you do to.


Recommended Age Group: Young Adult


Review by Allana, regular contributor.

10 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Very Interesting Book:D

Anonymous said...

green angel is my favorite book of all and i would read it over and over again

Anonymous said...

I have read this book at least six times and everytime I read it I find something new. I absolutely love this book, It changed my opinion of reading. I would recomend this book to anyone!

Anonymous said...

this book is amazing i realy love it i read it at least 5x i love ounce i start i can never put it down

Anonymous said...

I read this in 2nd grade. I loved it so much.I am in 7th grade, last quater at the moment and I still remember it. It was such a good book, but I can't find it anymore!

Anonymous said...

I bought this book when I was in the 5th grade. I am in 8th grade now and I still read it. It captivates me everytme and I absolutely love this book. It has changed how I look at everyday life. I have to do a reviewing report in English and I'm doing it on this book!:)

-Emily Pauley
Nitro,WV

Lyndsey said...

when i was reading this book i couldnt put it down! it was so interesting i loved it!

Unknown said...

I like this novel sooooooooooo much.I only read it one time but i really love it. i have to do a project on this. it is really hard but i enjoyed the story.

Anonymous said...

i love green angel. the book talks about the love for the family, and how Green always miss her sister. Actually i can relate to this book, because my sister was also gone a months ago. I found here the courage,hope and coping up in every situation esp. when you lose someone you really love. I would read it over and over again to remind me on how sisters love each other.

Anonymous said...

BEST BOOK EVER, SO SAD I CRIED DURING SILENT READING. MY TEACHER ASKED WHAT WAS WRONG AND I ANSWERED,"GREEN IS GOING THROUGH A VERY HARD TIME." <333

blogger templates | Make Money Online