Monday, August 27, 2007

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld




What would you do to be drop-dead gorgeous? Tally is an ugly whose hopes and dreams for the future all center on becoming exactly this. At the age of 16, everyone undergoes a dramatic surgery that molds bodies into physical masterpieces. As Tally counts down the days until her ugly face becomes breathtakingly perfect, she meets an ugly who makes her stop and think. Unlike every other ugly, Tally’s friend is not so sure she wants to go through with the operation that will thrust her into the world of new pretties. Tally learns things about being pretty that will suddenly make her question everything she’s ever known, wanted, and planned for. Will she do what it takes to become pretty in the end?

Uglies, by Scott Westerfeld, is the first book in a trilogy that introduces a fascinating new world. It takes place in the future, where a different kind of society lives: a society where perfection is the goal that may come with a price.

This series was the first that I truly and thoroughly enjoyed after reading such books as the Harry Potter and Stephenie Meyer series. Uglies not only had me sitting on the edge of my seat, but forced me to think outside the box. I think the whole premise of the series is absolutely fascinating! This novel really had it all too: action, suspense, romance, and drama. I won’t say anything more because I don’t want to spoil it; you just have to read it!


Recommended for ages 14 and up because of a cutting theme that appears later in the series.


Review by Sarah, occasional reviewer

3 Comments:

Framed said...

My 18-year-old niece recommended this trilogy to me. She absolutely loved them. This book sounds wonderful and I really need to get to it. (Sigh)

Emily said...

I thoroughly enjoyed this trilogy, HOWEVER my mom thought the third book, Specials, ruined the series. She thought it was too dark. Cutting is a prominent theme in Specials, so I recommend that parents read it first and decide if it is appropriate for their teens.

Anonymous said...

i really enjoyed this book.
quick read- but superb.

blogger templates | Make Money Online