Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

If you like clean books that are utterly un-put-down-able, the first book I recommend reading is Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. If you haven't read it yet, get thee to the bookstore! If you have read it, make sure you check out the page about Twilight the Movie.


In Stephenie Meyer's first book, Bella moves to her dad's house in the gloomy little town of Forks where everyone knows everyone. The students at Bella's new high school are fascinated by her, but her fascination is centered on the Cullen family. In Bella's words, "I stared because their faces, so different, so similar, were all devastatingly, inhumanly beautiful. They were faces you never expected to see except perhaps on the airbrused pages of a fashion magazine. Or painted by an old master as the face of an angel. It was hard to decide who was the most beautiful--maybe the perfect blond girl, or the bronze-haired boy."

Thus begins the tale of Bella and Edward, dear perfect Edward. I don't want to give anything away about this book. (In fact, I'm totally jealous of you if you haven't read it yet. You get to experience this romance for the first time.) But I will say this, although this is a "vampire love story", it appeals to readers who have never read or cared about vampires before. In fact, Stephenie Meyer calls it "a vampire book for people who don't like vampire books", and she claims to have never read a vampire book or seen a vampire movie prior to writing Twilight. It all came to her one night in a dream.

In short, Twilight is a tremendous tale of unrequited love. But it is not only a love story. There are also intense vampire chases, threats to loved ones, and hilariously clever day-to-day life experiences.

Twilight is the first book in the series. New Moon comes next. Eclipse will be released late summer 2007. And more are in the works. Hurray for that!

Recommended Readers: 14 and up. This book will appeal to adults.


I had the chance to hear Stephenie Meyer speak at BYU recently. You can see my notes here at my other blog. And here is a top ten list I created after reading Twilight.

16 Comments:

Beckyb said...

Just wanted to say that I am totally enjoying your new blog - as a book buyer for a library it is a great starting point for me - yep, trying to stay away from the whole censorship thing, but when you live in a small, conservative town - you do have to watch what you buy - I'd love to help out if you need reveiwers - I am always reading Jr High/Teen Lit. My book blog is www.inthepages.blogspot.com

~Becky

Emily said...

Becky,
Thanks so much. I would love to have you send reviews. I figure that the more people I get to send reviews, the more books we can cover at Clean Reads. See the previous post for details on sending reviews.
I've been to your site. In fact, I linked to it from my other blog. I noticed that you have it set up so that you get kickbacks from Amazon. Can you tell me how to do that?
I would like to do that and use the money to give away a free book now and then.
Thanks again!

Beckyb said...

Emily - I went to Amazon and clicked around until I found where to be an Amazon Merchant - you have to apply (I doubt they'd turn anyone down!!!) and then they got back to me and it's been easy from there- NO BIG INCOME for me yet, but small amounts that all add up - it would be great for giveaways. I can't remember exactly what I clicked on - I just remember it was something about an Amazon Merchant Account.

Unknown said...

Love this site! Thanks. I will probably announce it, because I know that there are a lot of moms on my site who would love to know what their kids are reading is clean.

I'll look at your info about submitting, and see what I know. I mostly read middle grade (or younger) stuff, but I don't know if you are also including adult fiction that is clean that has a broad audience. I know most high schoolers read adult stuff anyway.

Anonymous said...

I loved Twilight. It was so interesting. I could read the book forever. I especially loved the connection between Edward and Bella. They cared about each other so much I couldn't believe how much they cared about each other.

Emily said...

I think you're right, anonymous. That is exactly why people love these books so much!

Anonymous said...

I love the book "Twilight" although I would just like to point out that it actually swears several times. Not bad swear words, but d*** several times.

Emily said...

Yes. You are right that it says d***. If you check out the descriptions of what we call clean here are DCR, it says that we allow for a few of those swear words that are found in the Bible. Swear words not found in the bible are not permitted at all.

Anonymous said...

I am so so so so so excited that they are making a movie. Check out www.stepheniemeyer.com for more info and pics from the movie.

Anonymous said...

I love this book! I can not wait for the movie! It will be absoluteley amazing! Check out www.stepheniemeyer.com for more info about the movie and other events and books!

Anonymous said...

I just fininshed re-reading this book and I was surprised that I loved more than the last time I read it! I think that connection between Bella and Edward is simply amazing along with the fact that the situation is suspenseful, romantic, and a bit funny at times. I really love this book and Stephenie Meyer.

Anonymous said...

I really love this post....I think it's rare to find really good AND clean literature that appeals to teens these days. Stephenie Meyer's books definitely fit the bill.
If you want to get her new book for free, it looks like BooksOnBoard is giving
away the Breaking Dawn ebook for free
... I've already pre-ordered my
copy, and I'm 35. This book really does appeal to all age groups. Thanks for the great reviews!

talkback said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
talkback said...

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
Review

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
安琪 said...

While Twilight is a clean, enjoyable book, I thought you might like the warning that the fourth book in the series (Breaking Dawn) contains rather graphic descriptions of sex childbirth that I would not consider appropriate for younger teens.

blogger templates | Make Money Online